“Malware” refers to any software that purposefully harms you and your device in some way. Malware is capable of stealing sensitive information from you, thereby slowing down your device and sometimes even sending fraudulent emails from your account, unbeknownst to you.
Luckily, there are ways to prevent malware! Make sure to follow these guidelines in an effort to protect yourself:
- Keep your devices and software updated
- Think carefully before following links or downloading anything, even if at face-value they seem to come from legitimate sources
- Be mindful when opening email attachments and/or images
- Be wary of pop-up windows
- Limit your file-sharing and always double-check who you are file-sharing with
- Use antivirus software on all of your devices
Phishing scams involve people like you and I, who get targeted (usually) by email. These days, scammers are highly advanced, and the email appears to be from a genuine and well-known source. They ask you for personal information and then use this information to either invade your existing accounts or even create entirely new ones.
Make sure to follow these guidelines in an effort to protect yourself:
- Install security software on your device, and set it to automatically update itself
- Keep your devices and device software updated
- Use multi/two-factor authentication on all of your devices (learn to set it up on your Coindirect account here: https://help.coindirect.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002442374-How-to-enable-two-factor-authenticatio)
- Regularly and safely back-up your data